TWO WITNESSES PART THREE
Heaven and Earth January 23 2022
From the book of Deuteronomy:
- Context of chapter – Moses reminds the people to be obedient when they pass over Jordan into the land.
- Moses could not go over due to his sin of anger and disobedience in striking the rock a second time for water.
- He is allowed to view the land from a great height however.
- Moses reminds this new generation what the Lord did to their fathers for following after Baalpeor and doubting.
- They are to remember specifically the day that they stood before the Lord in Horeb to hear the words of the Lord.
- Now, verse 26 to introduce today’s message.
“I call heaven, and earth to witness against you this day, that you will soon utterly perish from off the land where you are going over Jordan to possess it; you shall not prolong your days upon it, but will be utterly destroyed, and the Lord will scatter you among the nations . . .”
- First verse of the Bible – “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.”
- For His first creative act, apart from the creation of the angels, God forms His two witnesses – heaven and earth.
- A foundational element in Scripture is the verifiability of truth
- Two witnesses are the minimum necessity for the establishment of truth be it a statement or an action.
- God does not need to prove Himself to anyone or anything and yet I believe He does in bringing forth His two witnesses to continually serve this very role.
- Those two witnesses are heaven and earth!
- They were first created as witnesses to all of the following wonders of creation recorded in Genesis one.
- And, they are two permanent witnesses to all of God’s righteous and holy dealings with mankind.
Let’s return to Deuteronomy.
Deut. 30 19
“I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:”
“Gather unto me all the elders of your tribes, and your officers, that I may speak these words in their ears, and call heaven and earth to record against them.”
- Remember record means witness.
GOD created the Heaven and the Earth.
“Of old has Thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the heavens are the works of Thy hands.”
Here is a statement that GOD is the Creator and the One who established the Heavens and the earth.
The word ‘foundation’ here carries the meanings of: to lay foundation, to establish, to ordain, to set together as in a conclave [a private meeting.]
Here in this verse we are told that God:
- Established the Heavens and the earth as a firm foundation
- That GOD ordained Heaven and Earth to a calling
- That GOD set them together in a conclave – a private meeting – to bear witness to all that would follow of GOD’s work.
Hear also from the Psalms.
“I will lift my eyes unto the hills. From whence comes my help? My help comes from the LORD who made heaven and earth.”
Here the Psalmist reminds us that the LORD made heaven and earth.
The world worships the false occultic religions that place their worship sites upon high hills. But we are told to look higher unto the Most High GOD who fashioned the heaven and the earth.
“Our help is in the name of the LORD who made heaven and earth.”
“The LORD that made heaven and earth bless thee out of Zion.”
I include the following Psalm at length to stress some of GOD’s characteristics that Heaven and Earth will witness concerning.
Psalm 146:5-10 NLT
“But joyful are those who have the GOD of Israel as their helper, whose hope is in the LORD their GOD. He made heaven and earth, the sea and everything in them. He keeps every promise forever. He gives justice to the oppressed and food to the hungry. The LORD frees the prisoners. The LORD opens the eyes of the blind. The LORD lifts up those who are weighed down. The LORD loves the godly. The LORD protects the foreigners among us. He cares for the orphans and widows, but he frustrates the plans of the wicked. The LORD will reign forever. He will be your GOD, O Jerusalem, throughout the generations. Praise the LORD!”
These above Psalms state definitively that the LORD GOD created heaven and earth.
But further than this, He created Heaven and Earth to act as His two primary witnesses to all that was to follow.
In the Psalm 146 the writer outlines some of the record of GOD’s two witnesses, Heaven and earth.
- They are to witness to GOD’s acts of creation including the seas and all that are in them.
- That His promises are forever.
- Witness to His justice.
- Witness to His provisions.
- Witness to His mercy for prisoners.
- Witness to His miraculous nature in healing blind eyes.
- Witness to His grace in lifting up those weighed down.
- Witness to His love to the godly.
- Witness to His sovereign protection of foreigners or wanderers.
- Witness to His compassion for orphans and widows.
- Witness to His justice regarding the wicked.
- Witness to His omnipresence, His omnipotence, and His omniscience.
- Witness to the fact that He will reign forever!
GOD’s calling forth His two witnesses.
“Give ear, O ye heavens, and I will speak: and hear, O earth, the words of my mouth.”
God provided two witnesses at the very beginning of creation to witness to what He is to speak, and to the very words that He is to speak, and to declare these things throughout the world.
His power, His glory, His righteousness, His sovereignty, His holiness, [ His uniqueness, His apartness], and His claim upon all of creation.
And further, we are reminded that the LORD GOD is the possessor of Heaven and Earth, as per Genesis 14:19 & 22, so it is established that the LORD GOD created, called, ordained and is the possessor of these two special witnesses.
REST COMING SOON